How do you file for political office?
To file as a candidate you must file with the Election Commissioner’s Office.
Candidate Filing Form
- Filing fees for a county office are paid to the Election Commissioner.
- Filing for any other office requiring a filing fee is paid to that subdivision’s Clerk/Secretary and a receipt must be provided to the Election Commissioner with the filing.
- If the office you are filing for requires a statement of financial interest to be filed with the Accountability and Disclosure Commission, your filing is not complete until this office receives a copy.
Partisan Candidate Filing Form
Is there a filing deadline?
- Primary Election deadline – February 16th for an incumbent and March 1st for non-incumbents.
- General Elections deadline – July 15th for an incumbent and August 1st for non-incumbents, for the Village Board Trustees, ESU Board Members, Public Power Board Members(grossing less than $40 million), Reclamation Districts, County Weed Board, and Township Officers.
Where to file?
Candidates filing forms for the Primary Election shall be filed with the following officials:
• For candidates for Congress and Senate, state constitutional officers, Public Service Commission, Legislature, University of Nebraska Board of Regents, State Board of Education, Public Power Districts (grossing over $40 million), Community Colleges, Natural Resources Districts and Learning Communities, in the office of the Secretary of State.
• For officers elected within a county, in the office of the Election Commissioner or County Clerk.
• For officers in school districts which include land in adjoining counties, in the office of the Election Commissioner or County Clerk of the county in which the greatest number of registered voters entitled to vote for the officers reside.
• For city or village officers, in the office of the city or village clerk, except that in the case of joint elections, the filing may be either in the office of the Election Commissioner or County Clerk or in the office of the city or village clerk with deputized personnel.
Candidates filing forms for the General Election shall be filed with the following officials:
• For candidates for Public Power Districts (grossing less than $40 million), Reclamation Districts, Educational Service Units and Judges desiring retention, in the Secretary of State’s Office.
• For village officers, in the office of the Election Commissioner or County Clerk.